"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. " ~ James 1:2-3

Be a Tourist In Your Own Hometown


Originally uploaded by hillidaa

The Cape Fear Region (which include Wilmington, Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach, and a few other less beachy places) hosts the "Be a Tourist In Your Own Hometown" event annually in the beginning of March. Many, many local tourist attractions provide free admission to persons who are legal residents of New Hanover County (and sometimes the surrounding counties of Brunswick and Pender).
Apparently, it's a promotion for the locals to know all the good tourist-y locals and thus promote them to the tourists that come during the summer. When someone asks, "How is the Cameron Art Museum?" you can give an informed opinion. (My opinion - small, but lovely- definitely worth a couple of hours on rainy afternoon.)
So Tom and I decided to check out the Battleship North Carolina. It is permanently secured on the Cape Fear river right across from downtown Wilmington. We've gone over there and mulled around outside the ship; not wanting to pay the admission. So we decided it would be a perfect time to tour the ship itself.
It was fun, we had a good time. We knew better than to bring the stroller, so I had my wrap on. But having a different center of balance on those steep stairs is a little concerning!
Tom was more impressed than I was I think, only because I've seen my fair share of military ships. I was more interested in the placards with memories from the crew than the actual boat itself.
All in all, it was a fun couple of hours on our local tourist attraction. I probably wouldn't pay full price admission for it, but I'd recommend it to anyone who had a coupon.

0 comments: