"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. " ~ James 1:2-3

Shippin Up To Boston I

I’ve never flown out of Wilmington. The airport is tiny, perhaps not microscopic. One terminal, six gates. All the departing flights fit on a single screen. The first flight out was a small plane, the type you walk out to on the runway. The flight was acceptable, though I was one row forward of the exit row and the Exit sign jutted into the head space I would typically lean into. No naps. But the flight was empty-ish and I got the row to myself. We either had to wait in the air to land or the pilot enjoyed drastic mid-air turns, because we tipped side to side until I thought I might be motion sick.

The next flight out was packed. The Philly airport lacked outlets, so I wasn’t able to connect to the world via my computer. Oh how I wish my laptop had longer than a 20 minute charge. The flight was snug, but cold and I still couldn’t rest. However, I saw a small feat of innovation that surprised me, if only because the airline industry is not known for a) making things easier and b) doing something clever.

In place of the old light up symbol telling us not to smoke in the aircraft (how obsolete is that?!), they now have an indicator of whether electronic devices are allowed to be used. When I was younger, I generally had to ask the flight attended when I could use my Walkman, because the thought of making that obvious was beyond the industry at that time. This is the first time I’ve seen this on a plane, though it may just be that I don’t fly as often as I used to. Well, I say that… I’ve flown 4 round trips in the last year, and in a month, I’ll be doing it again. That’ll change after Harper turns 2 – he stops being free.

Arrived in Boston, waited for my luggage; I had packed light with only 2 barely full carry ons but when the whole flight does that, the overhead bins fill rather quickly. If you aren’t quick to hop on the plane, they check your second bag.

My hotel was oddly fancy, that is to say, fancy in a variety of different ways, but not in the obvious ways. I got a warm chocolate chip cookie at check in, yet this downtown business hotel did not have free wi-fi (I was able to sweet talk the front desk lady & get a comp code). The room was smaller than my bedroom at home, but I had a single to-go cup Wolfgang Puck coffee maker. But the bed is soft with many pillows and for me, the quality of sleep is really the key when choosing a hotel room.

My first professional conference was on the 5th floor of the Courtyard Marriot. The conference itself is only interesting to a select group of people, so I won’t go into the details, other than to say it was about teaching people how to sift through the hundreds, if not thousands of medical journals to find the best, highest quality medical evidence without spending every waking hour doing so. It sounds simple, but sadly it’s a) very complicated, b) not currently done, and c) the inability to do so actually causes harm to patients.

After the conferences first day, I napped. I know I should have been taking as much time to explore this huge wonderful city as possible, but I needed the nap so bad (much like I’ll need a nap when I get home this afternoon). After an hour or so, I got up and walked around the parts of the city surrounding my hotel. I found the shopping district, complete with a four story Borders. I didn’t go in, for fear I would never leave. I walked past pubs and restaurants, stopping at Rock Bottom Brewery for dinner. They had the most delicious Pumpkin Ale, with a cinnamon sugar rim. That’s a beer I could drink every day, and I’m debating whether to stop by tonight to give it another go before I leave it behind.

0 comments: