"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. " ~ James 1:2-3

I’ve Given Up…


I've given up on politics. The general hypocrisy, idiocy and ignorance that abound in politics today is more than I can stand.
I've seen new articles online about tragic murders and commentators, instead of lamenting the murders, find a way to blame republicans or democrats, Bush or Obama. There are enormous numbers of people who confuse "freedom of religion" with "freedom of MY religion," and then spout intolerance and hate. People who truly believe God hates people, not just sin and use that to further their political agenda.
Political pundits? While I know that intelligent, calm debates do not attract the media, why must the least intelligent and angry persons rule the air? The nonsense you hear from anyone in front of a camera or microphone makes me cringe. The worst is people who use these pundits as a source of their understanding of a topic. When I watch Jon Stewart, I have a good laugh, and if I feel so compelled by any topic, I find a RELIABLE SOURCE to examine the information further. Pundits are NOT a reliable source!
A recent Newsweek poll (and this is a marketing research poll, not a convenience sample from their website) shows that roughly 24% of people believe that Obama is a Muslim. A subsequent article suggests that we are more willing to believe false information if it is regarding a person who we perceive to be different from ourselves. It's too bad the media can't focus on how politicians are not that different from ourselves, like that celebrity magazine with the feature "They're just like us!" Maybe then we would be more willing to seek out the truth and use that to form our opinions. Wishful thinking, I know.
Protesters are more interested in hollering at the top of their lungs (physically and metaphorically) that examining the outcomes of the protest. Does your "peaceful protest" cause more harm than good? Then STOP.
Okay, enough whining for today. But if you ask me what my thoughts are on the political topic du jour, now you know why I'll look at you blankly.

0 comments: